GHC compile times (was Re: GHC 6.4.3 is stalled)

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 09:57:30 EDT 2006

Joel Reymont wrote:

> Thanks for the tip! I'm _really_ interested in why it takes 55 min on
> Linux and 3+ hours on Mac Intel, though. Any clues?

There are a lot of variables in a GHC build, we'd have to be sure that those
measurements were taken on completely identical builds - i.e. profiled libs
built, same optimisation levels, via-C and same version of gcc (or -fasm), GMP
library built/not built, etc.

If you think your build is slow, try building it on Windows sometime :-(