GHC vs. GCC on raw vector addition

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Jan 18 20:42:47 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 06:18:29PM +0300, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> :)  even C version performs only 20 millions of additions in one second
> because this program is most limited by memory throughput - it access
> to 24 memory bytes per each addition. GHC just can't produce simple
> loops even for "imperative" code. JHC can be much better in that area,
> i strongly recommend Sven to try it

Jhc doesn't have 'true' arrays yet, partially because I have not decided
how points-to analysis should work for them. (I will probably just union
all their points-to information since they most likely will be filled
by the same routine).

GHCs indirect calls are really killing its performance in tight loops. I
think there is room for collaboration between the various compilers
there, since we are all moving to a c-- back end (in theory) we could
work on a common c-- -> C translator that searches out such uneeded
indirections and zaps them before they get to gcc which doesn't handle
them well at all.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈