New bug tracker: Trac

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 07:24:23 EST 2006

Currently we're using the GHC Trac to track bugs in libraries
distributed with GHC (there are only a few of these open).

I've put some thought into this, and deciding whether to have one Trac
instance for all packages or a Trac instance per package is a hard choice.

If we had a Trac per package, then linking between Trac objects (wiki
pages, tickets, changesets) in different packages is inconvenient, and
we have to set up the new Trac instance for each package.

Furthermore it would mean that asking for all the bugs in either GHC or
one of the packages we distribute is going to be painful (we'd have to
look in about 15 places!).  This will get easier as we distribute fewer
packages, though.

There are a bunch of things that are per-Trac and we also need to be
per-package:

   - repository (Trac only supports a single repo currently)
   - permissions
   - versions/milestones
   - timeline

If we had one Trac for all packages, we would have to:

   - wait for Trac to support multiple repos
   - share Trac permissions across packages
   - add versions of all packages to the 'version' field in
     the tracker.
   - make a pseudo-top-level wiki page for each package

I'd personally be more happy with a single Trac if we could make it
work, but currently it looks like it would be too ugly.