darcs switchover

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 13 11:43:47 EST 2006

John Goerzen wrote:
> On 2006-01-11, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
>
>>I've talked to Simon about this, and here's what we've agreed I will do:
>>
>> * I will re-convert all of the top-level directories in the current
>>   libraries darcs repo, except for: doc, mk, and Cabal
>> * Each new repo will be under darcs.haskell.org/packages
>> * I will convert HEAD only and not the ghc-6.4 branch.
>>   Simon plans to continue using CVS for ghc-6.4 anyway.
>

> These steps are now done.
>
> See all the new repos under http://darcs.haskell.org/packages.
>
> libraries and libraries.ghc-6.4 are now gone.

And GHC is now usable from the new darcs setup.  I've updated the
instructions on the wiki:

   http://cvs.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/GhcDarcs

All of the packages are sync'd from CVS except for Cabal - it seemed
more sensible to use the existing Cabal repo directly.  However I've
taken a branch of that Cabal repo to add the fptools Makefiles for now;
the branch is in http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/Cabal.

I added a script darcs-all at the top-level of the ghc tree which
automates invoking darcs on the various sub-repos.  To get a whole tree,
do this:

   $ darcs get --partial http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc
   $ cd ghc
   $ chmod +x ./darcs-all
   $ ./darcs-all get

and to pull new changes:

   $ ./darcs-all pull

Please test, as we'd like to switch over as soon as possible.