inside the GHC code generator

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 03:50:47 EST 2006

Hello kyra,

>> i prefer to see the asm code. this may be because of better high-level
>> optimization strategies (reusing fib values). the scheme about i say
>> will combine advantages of both worlds
k> no strategies, plain exponential algorithm,

yes, the ocaml compiler works better with stack. but i sure that in
most cases gcc will outperform ocaml because it has large number of
optimizations which is not easy to implement (unrolling, instruction
scheduling and so on)

k> also, Clean is *EXACTLY* in line with ocaml. This is interesting,
k> because Clean is so much similar to Haskell.

clean differs from Haskell in support of unique types and strictness
annotations. the last is slowly migrates into GHC in form of shebang
patters, but i think that it is a half-solution. i mentioned in
original letter my proposals to add strictness annotations to
function types declarations and to declare strict datastructures, such
as "![Int]"

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com