[GHC] #683: RULES for recursive functions don't work properly

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Wed Feb 8 06:59:55 EST 2006

Hello Simon,

>> G> someone mentioned to me that this expression:
>> G>    mapM_ action [n..m]
>> G>  isn't being optimised properly, so I thought I'd look into it.  Sure
>>
>> may be, what's me :)  i use specially written function as faster
>> version of this idiom and suggested Simon Marlow to substitute "mapM
>> [n..m]" with call to my function using RULE mechanism

SM> The point is that it should already be optimised - both mapM_ and [n..m]
SM> work with foldr/build optimisation, but due to the problem reported in
SM> that ticket, foldr/build isn't working fully on this example.  Better to
SM> fix the cause of the problem than work around it with a special RULE.

i understood this and therefore don't wrote my function body. but now
i write it:

-- Faster equivalent of "mapM_ action [from..to]"
loop from to action  = go from
  where
    go i | i>to      = return ()
         | otherwise = do action i
                          go $! (i+1)

for the following purpose - can you check that 'loop' in no more
"faster equivalent", i.e. that the speed is really the same now?

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com