instance inference

Doaitse Swierstra doaitse at cs.uu.nl
Mon Feb 6 07:53:17 EST 2006

I have not followed this completely, but do these new rules now allow:

class F a b c where
   f: a -> b -> c

and then

instance F a a a where

which gives currenly gives (using -fglasgow-exts):

Test.hs:6:0:
     Illegal instance declaration for `F a a a'
         (There must be at least one non-type-variable in the
instance head
          Use -fallow-undecidable-instances to permit this)
     In the instance declaration for `F a a a'

I recently ran into this, and I thought it to be perfectly
reasonable, but GHC complained.

On the other hand:

instance F [a] [a] [a] where
posed no problem, although I still see no non-type-variable in the
head, or is [] a non-type-variable? I assumed the complaint was a
left-over from the single parameter classes, where indeed having a
single variable in an instance declaration does not make much sense.
The second example does not follow the old rule (2) below!

So rule (2) below is either not correctly implemented or not
correctly stated or the error message is confusing, or I am missing
something completely. Who can enlighten me?

   Doaitse

because of the old rule (2) below. When I