[Haskell] GHC Error question

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 13 12:19:14 EST 2006

Hmm.  GHC currently uses the signature to drive typechecking the expression; it does not infer a type and compare. (Much better error messages that way.)

So (a) it's very undesirable that using the inferred type as a signature can ever not work, but (b) it affects only very few programs and ones that are almost certainly ambiguous anyway, and (c) I can't see an easy way to fix it.  So my current plan is: let it lie.

I'll open a low-priority bug report for it though.

Simon