A registerised mips-linux port of GHC

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 04:59:24 EDT 2006

Thiemo Seufer wrote:

> I decided to ignore the performance tuning for now and used a register
> mapping which is compatible to all three relevant MIPS ABIs. It uses
> 4 callee-saved registers as R1-R4, plus 4 temporaries (caller-saved)
> registers as R5-R8.
>
> With the appended patch to support a registerised build of GHC 6.4.2 on
> Debian mips-linux I got those testsuite results:
>
> OVERALL SUMMARY for test run started at Wed Aug 23 20:12:05 BST 2006
>      674 total tests, which gave rise to
>     1883 test cases, of which
>       21 caused framework failures
>      369 were skipped
>
>     1407 expected passes
>       22 expected failures
>        0 unexpected passes
>       41 unexpected failures
>
> Unexpected failures:
>    barton-mangler-bug(normal,opt,prof,threaded)
>    cabal01(normal)
>    cg005(prof)
>    char001(prof)
>    directory001(prof)
>    driver062.2(normal)
>    drvrun006(normal)
>    drvrun018(opt)
>    enum02(threaded)
>    exceptions001(normal)
>    ext1(prof)
>    fed001(normal,opt,prof,threaded)
>    ffi006(normal,opt,prof,threaded)
>    ffi007(normal,opt,prof,threaded)
>    ffi008(normal)
>    finalization001(threaded)
>    freeNames(threaded)
>    galois_raytrace(opt,prof)
>    ioref001(normal,prof,threaded)
>    joao-circular(normal,opt,prof,threaded)
>    ratio001(prof)
>    uri001(prof)
>    xmlish(prof)

Congratulations, that does look pretty good.  Leaving out barton-mangler-bug
(probably floating-point rounding differences) and the ffi tests (lack of
Adjustor.c support), there aren't many failures.  Although there don't seem to
be any pattern to the remaining failures, which is perhaps slightly worrying -
were they all segfaults, and are they repeatable?

I've committed your patch, thanks.