6.4.3 and threaded RTS problems

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 03:56:50 EDT 2006

Hi Folks,

Roman Leshchinskiy and I looked into the 6.4.3 crashes on Sparc/Solaris
yesterday.  I think we may have found the problem, and it seems likely that this
is the same problem affecting 6.4.3 on MacOS X.  The threaded RTS is assuming in
a couple of places that pthread_cond_wait() doesn't spuriously wake up, which is
apparently the case on Linux but not true in general.

I don't think this bug affects 6.6.  I could be wrong, however.  Does anyone on
MacOS X have a recent testsuite run with the HEAD?

I'll try to put together a fix for 6.4.3 when the 6.6 release cycle has died down.