Packages in GHC 6.6

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 06:17:04 EDT 2006

Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> one interesting question you not mentioned - whether it will be
> possible to include in GHC bundles non-BSD licensed libs and tools.
> although it seems more on behalf of packagers, it's still interesting
> to discuss here. one thing that i definitely will be glad to see is
> MissingH library

Certainly our bundles do include non-BSD components, for example GMP and the
readline package.  There's no problem with this, the only requirement is that
the unit for licensing is a package, so that users stand a chance of being able
to properly comply with licenses by just knowing which packages they use.

As for MissingH, I'd rather see those libraries be incorporated into more
canonical packages.  John has done a lot of great work there, but I think we
shouldn't be pushing libraries named 'MissingH.*', if these are libraries with
important functionality that we want to adopt then they should move into the
hierarchy proper.