Packages in GHC 6.6

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Wed Aug 23 04:44:59 EDT 2006

Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> writes:

> 1. Simon suggests that there is a core GHC distribution. it should be
> GHC _compiler_ itself and contains only libraries whose implementation
> are closely tied to compiler version [...]

> 2. For windows-like OSes where users prefer to see larger monolithic
> installations we should include more libraries in "standard
> distribution".

I'd like to see this (an extra-libs) package to be more than just a
bandaid for package management deficiency.  A standard library install
could encourage the use of those libraries, and perhaps also work as a
recommendation of specific libraries.

I'd certainly encourage (virtual) Debian/RPM-packages that depend on
the standard package bundle, so that it is easy to get the standard
libraries for a default installation, and to get coherent
installations on different machines.

> I suggested to exclude from list above graphics/sound

I'd prefer to include libraries if they are stable, useful, and
provide unique functionality.  I'm a bit ambivalent of including
libraries with overlapping functionality - while I expect opposing
this to be futile, I do think it is better to focus effort on a single
standard implementation.

Oh, and while this is currently a GHC issue, it would be nice if other
systems supported the same set of libraries.

-k