Packages in GHC 6.6

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 11:05:04 EDT 2006

Hello Brian,

Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 6:26:02 PM, you wrote:

>> the idea is not "what we all use", but "what a required to build ghc
>> itself, or closely depend on ghc version". i instead may propose to
>> remove unix/win32 here - i guess that these packages are rather
>> independent on GHC version

> Ok I see now, that the whole point is to avoid having to download everything
> every time the ghc version changes, so I withdraw my suggestion about
> including mtl in the core :-)

to be exact, problem is not downloading, but separating libraries from
the core package so they can be developed and updated independently.
fo example, you can update mtl from 2.0 to 3.0 version while using
still ghc 6.6 you installed four years ago. now library versions are
fixed at moment of major GHC release (6.4/6.6/..) and don't changed
during year or two

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com