Circular dependency between the compiler and TH?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Sat Aug 19 14:30:34 EDT 2006

I can't tell just what you are doing, but somehow you seem to be
building a stage-2 compiler in stage1.

Furthermore, consider your invocation

/usr/local/bin/ghc -H16m -O  ... utils/Digraph.lhs ...

utils/Digraph.lhs:133:12:
     Ambiguous occurrence `indices'
     It could refer to either `GHC.Arr.indices', imported from Array
at utils/Digraph.lhs:43:0-11
                           or `Data.Array.Base.indices', imported
from Data.Array.ST at utils/Digraph.lhs:48:0-19

I think this can only happen if /usr/local/bin/ghc is a version of GHC
built by you, with the libraries chosen on a bad day.  (There was a day
or two when the libraries had to modules both exporting 'indices'.)

Are you 100% sure that /usr/local/bin/ghc is a standard download?
Are you 100% sure that you are fully up to date, in *all* packages
(especially libraries/base and ghc itself).

If so, I can only suggest starting in a fresh tree.

Simon M is back on Monday and can help.  But certainly something odd is
going on in your build.

Simoin