Replacement for GMP: Update

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 12:31:21 EDT 2006

Hello skaller,

Sunday, August 13, 2006, 4:34:14 AM, you wrote:

> I know very little about Haskell, let alone GHC internals

me too. so it's better to wait for comments about your thoughts from
GHC team than from me. but at least i can said that

> But the state of the art is then two stages behind the
> requirement: Haskell still has to 'world stop' threads
> to do a major collection.

is not exactly true. look at "Non-stop Haskell"
(http://www.haskell.org/~simonmar/papers/nonstop.pdf)

i don't know why it is not included in 6.6 or previous version

> So I'm bringing into question whether these nice
> 'optimisations' are actually worthwhile. They actually
> seem to *degrade* performance, not improve it, when we're
> running with a large number of CPUs. Stopping the world
> if you have 20,000 CPU's will happen so often, all the
> CPU's will be idle 99.99% of the time :)

btw, one GHC intern worked on multi-processor GC and i hope that it
will be included in 6.6. so, the GC will also use all these 20k cpus :)
or Intel/IBM/Sun will start make some FP chips. they already do this
actually, just these chips still emulate x86/sparc/... ones :)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com