OpenSSL License (was Replacement for GMP: Update)

Peter Tanski p.tanski at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 21:12:05 EDT 2006

John,

> Have you carefully investigated the OpenSSL license?  We in Debian
> have
> had repeated problems since the OpenSSL license is, as written,
> incompatible with the GPL (even linking to OpenSSL is incompatible
> with
> the GPL).  I would hate to have a situation where all GHC-compiled
> programs can't be under the GPL.

I have been discussing this very issue with several people in this
list.  At first I thought it was a peripheral issue because I had not
carefully reviewed the GPL license until Florian Weimer pointed out
what the problem was.  By that time I had already decided to work
with another replacement library--I have not yet decided which
because I am still testing things out--based on good arguments other
people gave for not subjecting users to OpenSSL's advertising
clause.  The libraries I am working with are either public domain or
BSD licenses.  Sorry to scare you.

Best regards,
Peter