Replacement for GMP: Update

Reilly Hayes rfh at reillyhayes.com
Thu Aug 10 23:15:21 EDT 2006

I have a Mac as well, but it is an intel one.  GHC does NOT support
dynamic linking of Haskell libraries on intel macs, but C libraries
like readline & GMP dynamically link just fine.  For example:

$ otool -L /usr/local/ghc/lib/ghc-6.5/ghc-6.5
/usr/local/ghc/lib/ghc-6.5/ghc-6.5:
         /usr/local/lib/libreadline.5.0.dylib (compatibility version
5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 88.1.3)
         GMP.framework/Versions/A/GMP (compatibility version 7.0.0,
current version 7.0.0)

On Aug 10, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Alec Berryman wrote:

> Reilly Hayes on 2006-08-10 18:36:49 -0700:
>
>> There's one thing I don't entirely understand about the GMP problem.
>> I understand that there are some limitations on GHC's ability to
>> generate relocatable (and therefore dynamically linkable) code on x86
>> (a register allocation problem related to the mangler if I recall the
>> comments in the code correctly).  But this shouldn't prohibit linking
>> GMP in dynamically, should it?  It's just a C library and GCC should
>> happily generate relocatable code.  As a dynamically linked library,
>> there should be no tainting issues to worry about even if the
>> dynamically linked code is shipped with the executable.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
> No, the LGPL doesn't mandate source redistribution when you
> redistribute
> a binary that is dynamically linked to a LGPL-licensed library.  If
> GHC
> did support dynamically linking programs, it wouldn't be an issue, but
> GHC only supports that on OS X.
>
> I was wondering something similar - is it really easier to replace the
> functionality and speed of GMP than to extend GHC's dynamic library
> support to other platforms?

Reilly Hayes
rfh at reillyhayes.com