6.6 plans and status

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Mon Aug 7 15:38:43 EDT 2006

skaller wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 17:07 +0100, Chris Kuklewicz wrote:
>> Would a new and expanded Regex package (Test.Regex.Lazy) be something that could
>> be included in the 6.6.0 libraries?  What is the best practice for getting it
>> included?
>>
>> It still supports a wrapped Posix regex backend, but also include a PCRE wrapper
>> and pure haskell backends and work efficiently on both String and ByteString.
>>
>> It runs, has an increasing amount of Haddock documentation, some HUnit tests,
>> and some new QuickCheck tests are almost done.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to use Ville Laurikari's TRE
> package instead of PCRE?
>
> [It is also Posix compliant and drop in replacement for
> gnu regex .. as well as supporting nice extensions]

It is possible to add support for more backends.
The more the merrier, no need to replace anything.
I have never heard of TRE before.
I could use darcs or darwinports to install libtre.
Looking at the API, I see that it is very easy to add as a backend.
TRE is LGPL, which PCRE is BSD.
TRE is not a replacement for PCRE.
TRE claims to be a replacement for Posix regex except for collating elements.
But Posix regex is already in GHC's Text.Regex(.Posix) modules.

So I would say: I welcome contribution of
Text.Regex.Lib.WrapTRE,StringTRE,ByteStringTRE
but getting the current library into GHC-6.6 would be more important.

Note that Text.Regex.Lazy has two darcs repositories:
http://evenmere.org/~chrisk/trl/stable/
http://evenmere.org/~chrisk/trl/head/

--
Chris