[GHC] #710: library reorganisation

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 06:56:19 EDT 2006

Hello Simon,

> Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

>> sorry for repetition, but ByteString library in its current state
>> still don't replaces PackedString in functionality, because it don't
>> support full Unicode range of chars

> That's true, but frankly the current Data.PackedString is subsumed by
> [Char], so there's no good reason to keep it.  I'll stop saying that
> Data.ByteString is replacing Data.PackedString to avoid confusion.

this module may be used by someone, though... as i already said, you
can with the same success omit any other modules that is also not
replaced by ByteString - what is the difference?

> Would you like to write a Data.ByteString.UTF8 to fill the gap?

no, at least now. btw, i have my own private simple module that is
called UTF8Z because it don't store length but uses 0 byte at the end
of string. but this module omits any functionality except for
pack/unpack. on the other side, it's representation is most compact
among the all modules i've seen

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com