[GHC] #710: library reorganisation

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Fri Apr 28 02:52:17 EDT 2006

Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> writes:

> sorry for repetition, but ByteString library in its current state
> still don't replaces PackedString in functionality, because it don't
> support full Unicode range of chars

What would be required for it to replace PackedString? (If that is a
goal?)  If I understand correctly, PS is an array of Word32, and
ByteString is (obviously) an array of Word8.  Would it be sufficient
if there was a 'Char' interface supporting all of Unicode (the obvious
candidate encoding being UTF-8), or must it support UCS-2 and UCS-4
directly?

-k