"A Language Based Approach to Unifying Events and Threads"

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Thu Apr 27 18:19:29 EDT 2006

Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
> I don't see that anyone has mentioned yet, but I expect a number of
> GHC users and developers will find this paper very interesting:
>
> http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~stevez/papers/LZ06a.pdf

Thanks! I've been thinking alot about events/threads etc when trying to
design an application framework so this paper looks very helpful. Also great
to see an example of how Haskell's abstraction mechanisms are so vastly
superior to C etc, where this kind of code would be impossible to write.

One little point. I think that the definition of sys_fork in figure 10, page
7, which reads:

        sys_fork f = M(\c->SYS_FORK (build_trace mx) (c ())

should instead be:

        sys_fork f = M(\c->SYS_FORK (build_trace (return f)) (c ())

since there is no variable 'mx' in scope as far as I can see.

Thanks again, Brian.