GHC6.5 + TH + Profiling

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 05:13:41 EDT 2006

Einar Karttunen wrote:

> I am having problems combining TH and profiling with ghc-6.5.20060420. GHC seems to die
> when loading the object file for TH execution and failing to notice that it should
> load profiling symbols. The exact error is:

> ghc-6.5.20060420: .haskell_cache/http_searchpath.org-default.map.cache//HAppS/Util/StdMain/StartStateTH.o: unknown symbol `entering_PAP'
>
> I can create a simpler example of this if needed.

TH and profiling don't mix at the moment, and never have.  There's an
open bug:  http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/651.

The technical reason is that the interpreter used to execute the TH code
isn't compatible with the profiled object code in the other compiled
modules.  It's exactly the same reason you can't load profiled object
code into GHCi.