Visual Haskell

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 05:08:03 EDT 2006

Dmitri Pissarenko wrote:

> First of all I want to thank all the people, who developed Visual
> Haskell. It's a big step towards functional programming in real life.

> I have an application in C# in Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Haskell,
> which seems to work only in Visual Studio 2003 (both Visual Studios are
> installed on my computer).
>
> Now, is it possible to write parts of the C# application in Visual Haskell?
>
> If yes, is there any downloadable tutorial about how one can use Visual
> Haskell in collaboration with other Microsoft languages?

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I believe it's certainly
*possible* to invoke Haskell from C#.  It might not be very easy, though.

The basic mechanism is that you expose the Haskell functionality via the
FFI (foreign export), and then invoke this from your C# code as you
would invoke C code.

In order to do this, you probably want to put the Haskell code into a
DLL.  There's some new documentation on the wiki you should find useful:

   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/Using_the_FFI

Note that while loading the Haskell DLL should work fine, there are
currently problems with unloading, especially repeatedly loading and
unloading Haskell DLLs.