`make' for profiling

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worcester.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Sep 21 08:06:37 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 14:40 +0400, Serge D. Mechveliani wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 11:11:33AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

> > > Does this mean that  ghc-6.4.1, and further versions too,
> > > will be without profiling?
> >
> > Of course not!  Profiling works in 6.4.1 just like it has in previous
> > versions.  What is missing is profiling support in Cabal as shipped with
> > 6.4.1, which is what I thought you were asking for.  Newer versions of
> > Cabal support profiling, and all you have to do is upgrade Cabal.
>

> My initial question can be formulated this way:
> which future official release of GHC will contain a Cabal version
> which supports profiling?
> (such a release was my user's wish)

Probably 6.6, but you really do not have to wait for that. It's easy to
upgrade Cabal.

Indeed for the Gentoo Linux distribution we are not going to support the
version of Cabal that comes with GHC 6.4 or 6.4.1. We unregister
Cabal-1.0 (after installing GHC) and install Cabal-1.1.3 instead because
if has more features and fewer bugs.

Duncan