.hc files for building ghc-6.4.1 on amd64 ?

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 19 06:54:09 EDT 2005

On 17 September 2005 22:05, Wilhelm B. Kloke wrote:

> I tried it again today. One of my problems was related to gmake
> version.
> The configure script should warn, if gmake is older than 3.80 (I had
> 3.78).

I'm using 3.79.1.  I do vaguely remember a problem with older versions
of gmake - what goes wrong for you?

> The building of the .hc bundle fails wirth the following messages:

> tar czf ghc-6.4.1-x86_64-unknown-freebsd-hc.tar.gz `cat
> hc-files-to-go`
> tar: ghc-6.4.1/ghc/rts/PrimOps.hc: Cannot stat: No such file or
> directory
> tar: ghc-6.4.1/ghc/rts/StgStartup.hc: Cannot stat: No such file or
> directory
> tar: ghc-6.4.1/ghc/rts/StgStdThunks.hc: Cannot stat: No such file or
> directory
> tar: ghc-6.4.1/ghc/rts/Updates.hc: Cannot stat: No such file or
> directory
> tar: ghc-6.4.1/ghc/rts/Apply.hc: Cannot stat: No such file or
> directory
> tar: ghc-6.4.1/ghc/rts/Exception.hc: Cannot stat: No such file or
> directory
> tar: ghc-6.4.1/ghc/rts/HeapStackCheck.hc: Cannot stat: No such file
> or directory
> tar: ghc-6.4.1/ghc/rts/StgMiscClosures.hc: Cannot stat: No such file
> or directory
> tar: ghc-6.4.1/libraries/haskell-src/Language/Haskell/Parser.hs:
> Cannot stat: No such file or directory gmake: *** [hc-file-bundle]
> Fehler 1

Yes, you do actually need to generate these .hc files on the host
system.  What happened to the build in ghc/rts - could you post the
error message?  Possibly a 'make -k' in ghc/rts will be enough to get
these files.

> I tried to go back to ghc/rts to build more files following the
> ipattern of the last steps before, but this destroys genapply.

Don't quite understand this - could you elaborate?

> Further, there are some hsc.c files of length 0 like:
> ~/Haskell/fptools-i386amd64/ghc-6.4.1 0$ ls -l
> libraries/base/System/*hsc.c
> -rw-r--r--  1 wb  ifado  0 17 Sep 21:31
> libraries/base/System/CPUTime_hsc.c
> -rw-r--r--  1 wb  ifado  0 17 Sep 21:31
> libraries/base/System/Time_hsc.c

This is correct (the C compiler should generate an empty object file
when compiling them).  It was easier to avoid the special case in the
build system when the _hsc.c file is empty.

> The building process on the target system fails with messages that
> there is no rule to build those files. Also, I needed to have happy
> and alex
> on the target system, because make boot fails without them (catch 22).

When things are working properly, you don't need Happy or Alex on the
target system.  I suspect things have gone wrong earlier.

> A final glitch is that (at least, my) FreeBSD-amd64-6.0 gcc does not
> include -I/usr/local/include and -L/usr/local/lib in the search path.
> So libgmp is not found.

Ok.  You can use the libgmp in the tree (this should happen
automatically), or you can add the -I/-L flags to the relevant places.
This is something we don't handle very well right now, though.