Segfaulting programs with GHC 6.4.1

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Oct 28 12:39:54 EDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 05:08:38PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 24 October 2005 17:23, John Goerzen wrote:
>
> > 9. Now run dist/build/gopherbot.
> >
> >    You should see it start to download documents, and crash after a
> >    few minutes.
>
> I have it running on my laptop, but I'm behind a firewall right now and
> I guess it doesn't understand the http_proxy environment variable (is
> there a way to tell it to use a proxy?).  At least, it seems to be
> complaining about timeouts on its connections.  I'll try later outside
> the firewall.

Working with a proxy would be complicated at best.  It is not actually
using the HTTP protocol, but rather the Gopher protocol, which predated
proxies and is not necessarily very well supported by them.  If you can
get out on port 70, you'll be OK for the most part.  Being outside the
firewall (or at least behind a firewall where you can go out on most
ports) will be even better.

-- John