Segfaulting programs with GHC 6.4.1

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 21 04:52:50 EDT 2005

On 21 October 2005 09:24, John Goerzen wrote:

> On 2005-10-20, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
>> I am running GHC 6.4.1 on Linux x86.  I have a program that is
>> multithreaded, and since the upgrade from GHC 6.4, the program is
>> segfaulting.
>
> Some additional data:
>
>  * Removing -O2 from the compile flags didn't help.  (If anything,
>    it made things worse.)
>
>  * You can see the source for this program with:
>
>    darcs get --partial --tag=bug20051020
> http://darcs.complete.org/gopherbot
>
> Yes, it is what it sounds like ;-)

At this stage we need to resort to gdb.  Run the version of the program
compiled with -debug under gdb, and take a look at the backtrace when it
crashes.  Hopefully it'll be somewhere in the RTS, if it's somewhere in
Haskell code you won't get an informative backtrace.

If it's possible for us to reproduce the bug here, I'll happily take a
look.