Help wanted! Win32 and HGL for GHC on Windows

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worcester.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Oct 14 05:28:51 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 09:20 +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Dear GHC users
>
> This is an appeal for help with the
>
> 	libraries/Win32 package [on Windows, obviously]
> 	libraries/HGL package [on Windows]

> Here's the situation:
>
> * Win32 provides access to the native Windows API, which is obviously
>    very useful for people writing Haskell on Windows.  HGL, the "Haskell
>    Graphics Library", is the graphics package used by Paul Hudak's book
>    "The Haskell School of Expression".

Well for the special case of the SOE library I have a re-implementation
of it based on Gtk+/cairo which should work on all platforms.

Another advantage is that it looks nicer when implemented with cairo:
http://haskell.org/~duncan/gtk2hs/SOE-cairo.png
HGL implementation vs Gtk/cairo implementation

If people actually use the rest of the HGL then this doesn't help.

I'm planning either to bundle this module with the next Gtk2Hs release
or release it as a seperate Cabal package.

Duncan