heap profiling and name truncation

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 16 08:07:08 EST 2005

On 14 November 2005 20:35, Abraham Egnor wrote:

> I'm trying to use the built-in ghc heap profiling and running into a
> large roadblock: the names of producers are truncated, often into
> uselessness, and there doesn't seem to be an option to control this.
> Am I missing something in the docs?

The limit of 25 characters before the "..." is built-in, I'm afraid.
How ever, the cost centre ID is included (the number in parentheses
before the cost centre stack), and you can match this to the full CCS by
adding the -P option:

  $ ./prog +RTS -hc -P

also produces a time profile in prog.prof that includes the ID of each
cost centre stack.