HSQL installation woes

Ed Osinski osinski at cs.nyu.edu
Sun Nov 6 15:30:48 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to install GHC and related software under Solaris 9 and am
stuck at HSQL.  I initially used the binary package of ghc 6.4.1.  It
installed w/o any problems, and I was able to build alex, happy,
haddock and cpphs.  However, when trying to install HSQL-1.6, it
complained about "ld" not recognizing "-x".  I guess this is due to
the binary package for Solaris being built on a machine that used the
GNU linker, which recognizes "-x"?  Anyway, this led me to build ghc
6.4.1 from source, with gcc 4.0.2, which was successful. :-) However,
when I try to install HSQL-1.6, it dies during the build step. :-(

Here is the output:

	/sware/build/HSQL-1.6/HSQL |> runghc Setup.lhs configure
	Warning: No license-file field.
	Configuring hsql-1.6...
	configure: searching for ghc in path.
	configure: found ghc at /usr/local/bin/ghc
	configure: looking for package tool: ghc-pkg near compiler in /usr/local/bin/ghc
	configure: found package tool in /usr/local/bin/ghc-pkg
	configure: Using install prefix: /usr/local
	configure: Using compiler: /usr/local/bin/ghc
	configure: Compiler flavor: GHC
	configure: Compiler version: 6.4.1
	configure: Using package tool: /usr/local/bin/ghc-pkg
	configure: Using haddock: /usr/local/bin/haddock
	configure: Using happy: /usr/local/bin/happy
	configure: Using alex: /usr/local/bin/alex
	configure: Using hsc2hs: /usr/local/bin/hsc2hs
	configure: Using cpphs: /usr/local/bin/cpphs
	configure: Reading installed packages...
	configure: Dependency base-any: using base-1.0
	/sware/build/HSQL-1.6/HSQL |> runghc Setup.lhs build
	Preprocessing library hsql-1.6...
	Building hsql-1.6...
	Chasing modules from: Database.HSQL,Database.HSQL.Types
	Compiling Database.HSQL.Types ( ./Database/HSQL/Types.hs, dist/build/./Database/HSQL/Types.o )
	Compiling Database.HSQL    ( ./Database/HSQL.hs, dist/build/./Database/HSQL.o )
	*** Exception: waitForProcess: interrupted (Interrupted system call)

This error happens consistently, but sometimes one line earlier.
Googling reveals that at least one person encountered this exception
on Solaris in the recent past:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/glasgow-haskell-users@haskell.org/msg07794.html

Is this a showstopper, or is there some fix or workaround?

- Ed