[Haskell] Haskell 6.4 perfomance

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 29 09:31:33 EST 2005

GHC 6.4 uses C-- as an intermediate language, it doesn't compile via C--
(yet).  A full C-- backend has the potential to generate faster code
that going via GCC, because C-- would have control over the stack and
the calling convention.

In my experience, extra optimisation flags for gcc make very little
difference for GHC-compiled code, and may even make things worse.  By
all means do some benchmarks, though!