environment variables for ghc

Frederik Eaton frederik at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 9 13:27:28 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 07:03:38PM +0100, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:01:40AM -0800, Frederik Eaton wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 05:19:18PM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> > > On 09 March 2005 08:29, Frederik Eaton wrote:
> > >
> > Oh, is that the only reason? That's a terrible reason to not have a
> > feature. :) You could just write a 'ghcbug' script which includes all
> > information automatically. See the output of 'perlbug -d' for example.
> >
> > I guess I could write a wrapper to add the options myself ... but is
> > everybody supposed to do this who has a package.conf in their home
> > directory, or some common set of utility modules somewhere? It seems
> > like a fairly common use case that should be well-supported in a
> > standard way out of the box.
>
> I was complaing (only to myself) that rsync doesn't allow to put some
> common options in ~/.rsyncrc or an environment variable. Then I simply
> added an alias in my .bash_profile:
>
>     alias rsync='rsync -v --progress'
>
> Unfortunately, this is still something that developers would like to
> know when facing a bug report :)

Right. Well, to get it to work from makefiles etc., I'd need to create
a script in my path, something like

#!/bin/sh
ghc -i$HSPATH -package-conf $HSPKGCONF "$@"

And I'd call it ghc. The thing is, I'm arguing that enough people
would do this that we should standardize on the environment variable
names. Plus, yeah, as you point out, I could just as well forget to
mention in a bug report that 'ghc' is my own special script.

Frederik

--
http://ofb.net/~frederik/