GHC 6.4 release candidates available

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Tue Mar 1 17:34:06 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 01:11:48PM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> We are finally at the release candidate stage for GHC 6.4.  Snapshots
> with versions 6.4.20050209 and later should be considered release
> candidates for 6.4.
>
> Source and Linux binary distributions are avaiable here:
>
>   http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/stable/dist/
>
> Please test if you're able to, and give us feedback.

All the below with
2c7ed0ee7a11f2eae159d073c29b4fe6  ghc-6.4.20050228-src.tar.bz2

The following files in the tarball look like they shouldn't be there
(and should be cleaned by at least distclean):
* ghc/includes/mkGHCConstants (an x86 ELF binary)
* ghc/driver/package.conf.inplace.old
* ghc/driver/package.conf.old
* A large number of ld.script files and the _split directories they are in
* libraries/{OpenAL,X11,base,network,unix}/config.status
* libraries/config.status

After building, then doing make distclean, I'm additionally left with:
* A ghc/compiler/stage1 directory tree including a number of
  .hi-boot-5 and .hi-boot-6 files.
* A ghc/compiler/stage2 directory tree including a number of
  .hi-noot and .o-boot files.
* A complete libraries/html directory
* libraries/libraries.txt
* mk/config.h
* mk/config.mk
* mk/stamp-h

but "Building from source" / "Standard Targets" says:

distclean

    Delete all files from the current directory that are created by
    configuring or building the program. If you have unpacked the source
    and built the program without creating any other files, make
    distclean should leave only the files that were in the distribution.

I think you have unswapped the first two lines of
"ghc -v 2>&1 | head -2" but not changed "Reading" back to "Using", so
old hmakes are still broken (old includes the latest release, I
believe).

Is there an equivalent of this (the no-OpenGL bit):

    $(MAKE) prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr install GhcLibsWithOpenGL=NO GhcLibsWithGLUT=NO

that still works or do I have to do it by hand?

Thanks
Ian