Problem building GHC

Dinko Tenev dinko.tenev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 03:18:29 EDT 2005

On 7/13/05, John Skaller <skaller at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > I guess I'll have to switch to version 2.95.2 as
> > suggested by the guide (I am currently using 3.3.5,)
>
> I think you need more RAM. I had to
> buy a new computer to fix this problem.

Oh my, that hurts...quite an expensive piece of software, GHC ;)  But
this really explains a lot, because two identical builds of mine
happened to die on different files - it never occurred to me GCC could
run low on memory though...

How about more swap, provided I would let it run overnight?

> Gcc is a badly written piece of software.
> What do you expect from a compiler that tries to do
> sophisticated  optimisations .. written in C??

Ah, this sounds a bit more encouraging (really :)  Wouldn't disabling
GCC optimisations be an easier way then?

Cheers,

D. Tenev