GHC 6.4 release candidates available (breakage on x86-64)

Wolfgang Thaller wolfgang.thaller at gmx.net
Sat Feb 26 00:48:30 EST 2005

>> [...]
>> warning: don't know how to split object files on this architecture
>> [...]

> Wolfgang, Ryan - that looks like a splitter problem, no?

Definitely. Looks like there is no splitter for x86-64. SplitObjs=NO is
definitely required.

> (The splitter is more of a dark art than the evil mangler, I propose we
> name it the "diabolical splitter" from now on.)

Hmmm, even 'diabolical' doesn't quite seem to capture it.

While the Evil Mangler is Evil, it is not Entirely Evil. We have to ask
ourselves, what would the world be like without the Evil Mangler? Can
there be Good without Evil? Would the Noble Code Generator (NCG) still
be Noble if there were no Evil Mangler?
The Evil Mangler is the kind of Evil that still has honor. Years after
the forces of Good have finally prevailed, the broken remains of the
Evil Mangler will still be proudly displayed in the castle's
repositories, and the descendants of the Knights who overcame It will
utter Its name with respect for an honoured adversary.
The Satanic Splitter however, or whatever that Nameless Nemesis should
be called, is an enemy of a different kind. Instead of attacking
directly and honestly, it relies on treachery to destroy its foes. It
lurks in the shadow of its big brother, the Evil Mangler, and it seeks
to make the unsuspecting world believe that it is relatively benign. It
does nothing that is essential to The Cause, and it tells its
unsuspecting victims that can say SplitObjs=NO at any time, but when
they do, it punishes them with multi-megabyte executables. And it
cannot even do its evil deeds by itself - without the help of a Traitor
in the code generator who puts "split markers" into the Code, the
Splitter would be helpless.
And I'm quite convinced that the Splitter's agents infiltrated Apple to
make sure that the dead-stripping code in Apple's linker runs really
slow. If Apple's code was efficient, the Splitter would already be
banished from the Land of Apples.

So go ahead and call the Splitter any bad names you like :-).

Cheers,

Wolfgang