GHC 6.4 release candidates available (breakage on suse 9.2 x86or x86-64)

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 23 09:13:23 EST 2005

On 22 February 2005 20:05, Brian Strand wrote:

> I'm having some serious "issues" getting GHC to run on Suse 9.2/x86
> (or x86-64 for that matter, although I didn't really expect that to
> work without some pain and suffering).  I've had no luck with 6.2.2,
> or any 6.4 release candidate. Here is a typical example:  after doing
> a "./configure; make in-place", I get the following:

/home/bstrand/haskell/ghc-6.4.20050221/lib/i386-unknown-linux/ghc-6.4.20
050221:
> error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.4: cannot open
>
> Fair enough; "rpm -q readline" gives me readline-5.0-1.2.  So off to
> the sources I go:
>
> cd ~/src/ghc-6.4.20050221
> ./configure
> configure: error: GHC is required unless bootstrapping from .hc files.
>
> After reading through most of the GHC building guide (paying
> particular attention to section 10), I try:
>
> ./configure --enable-hc-boot

You actually need the .hc source files too, which don't come with the
source distribution because they have to be built for each target
platform.

That section of the Building Guide wasn't really clear enough on this
issue, so sorry if that meant you wasted some time.  We've since updated
the instructions in the Building Guide.

For compiling GHC on a platform for which you don't already have a GHC
binary, the Approved Method is to go through the unregisterised
bootstrap instructions in section 10.2.  It's possible to do a
registerised bootstrap, which would be shorter, but we haven't tested
and documented the procedure.