RFC: hyperlinks in Haddock docs

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 14:10:25 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 05:45:39PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> In gtk2hs we have one huge module which defines all the types (this is
> produced by a code generator from a text file which describes the Gtk+
> class hierarchy). However we don't ever want this module to be exposed
> to users. We re-export each data type corresponding to the Gtk+ class in
> it's one module (which wraps all the methods of the class). Eg the
> module Graphics.UI.Gtk.Buttons.Button re-exports 'Button' from the
> module Graphics.UI.Gtk.Types.
> [...]
> For example we would say #hide in  Graphics.UI.Gtk.Types (and we'd want
> that to mean never ever generate links to this module) and in each
> module that re-exports (and documents) each Gtk+ class add a haddock
> declarations saying "for references to X please always link to its
> definition here".

The new Haddock is enormously better at this -- it does take
#hide to imply that.  If you can get the #hide attribute working in
Graphics.UI.Gtk.Types, Haddock will redirect links to the lowest unhidden
module that exports the name (whether imported by this one or not),
which is exactly what you want.  There's no need for qualified names or
further declarations.