compiling GHC with a custom path to GCC

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 17 07:59:24 EST 2005

On 17 February 2005 12:43, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:

> Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>> On 17 February 2005 12:05, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not positive about 2.95, but I know that on 3.x it crashes in
>>> different places, and even compiling different source files.  With
>>> each 3.x release, they fix some of them, but others pop up to take
>>> their place.  Clearly the gcc people don't know what's going on.
>>>

>> Are you sure this isn't a hardware problem on your system?  gcc
>> crashing randomly is usually an indicator of bad memory or similar.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> 	Simon
>>

> I reproduced it on forty machines, all sparc ultras.  I've reproduced
> it
> on at least 10 linux boxes, two BSD boxes, and the thread started with
> the problem on freeBSD.  It isn't hard to find the error on a zillion
> pages.  For example:
>
> For example:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/1999-03/msg00083.html
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-01/msg00611.html
> http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-users/2000/12/0498.html
>
> Some of these believe the error occrs on cc1 after it receives an
> error six.
>
> I'm amazed that you haven't seen it.  That's very unusual for gcc 3.x.
> You've been lucky.

You're mixing up different errors - searching for 'gcc internal error'
isn't particularly helpful.  gcc internal errors happen for lots of
different reasons, not just a single bug.  Random unrepeatable crashes
are almost certainly hardware failure.

The crash on FreeBSD we were talking about earlier is repeatable, and
only happens with GCC 2.95.x.

The crash that happens on your 40 Sparc Ultras is repeatable, right?
It's probably just a compiler bug in the particular version of gcc
you're using.