compiling GHC with a custom path to GCC

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Thu Feb 17 07:43:11 EST 2005

Simon Marlow wrote:

>On 17 February 2005 12:05, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
>

>>I'm not positive about 2.95, but I know that on 3.x it crashes in
>>different places, and even compiling different source files.  With
>>each 3.x release, they fix some of them, but others pop up to take
>>their place.  Clearly the gcc people don't know what's going on.
>>

>Are you sure this isn't a hardware problem on your system?  gcc crashing
>randomly is usually an indicator of bad memory or similar.
>
>Cheers,
>	Simon

I reproduced it on forty machines, all sparc ultras.  I've reproduced it
on at least 10 linux boxes, two BSD boxes, and the thread started with
the problem on freeBSD.  It isn't hard to find the error on a zillion
pages.  For example:

For example:  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/1999-03/msg00083.html
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-users/2000/12/0498.html

Some of these believe the error occrs on cc1 after it receives an error six.

I'm amazed that you haven't seen it.  That's very unusual for gcc 3.x.
You've been lucky.