compiling GHC with a custom path to GCC

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Thu Feb 17 07:34:55 EST 2005

Malcolm Wallace wrote:

>Seth Kurtzberg <seth at cql.com> writes:
>

>>There has to be one, because the problem occurs when you compile gcc
>>with gcc.  I'll look for a specific bug report.  It happens much more
>>frequently with 3.x than with 2.95, in my testing, but that was not a
>>test of compiling Haskell, so I have no frequency information, specifically.
>>

>Sounds like a CPU-overheating problem to me.  It is well known that
>running an inadequately cooled processor at 100% for an extended
>period will cause random crashes.  There are third-party reports
>that it happens with Linux kernel builds, and I have personally seen
>it with builds of nhc98 and Hat.  When I replaced the CPU fan, the
>problems disappeared.
>

>>The other problem for the gcc people is the fact that it occurs
>>randomly.  The behavior has changed; 3.4 will crash in a different place
>>than 3.3.  If the program is large enough, it will happen.
>>

>Non-repeatable crashes certainly point the finger first at hardware
>rather than software.  Could also be deteriorating memory chips -
>but that is likely to bring the whole machine down eventually.
>
>Regards,
>    Malcolm

Ordinally I would agree, but in this cases it hash to be software
because I got probem on 40 different solais system

As for the processor  overheating, you would expect that it's on it's
last legs if it starts overheating.  It also happens on older machies;
I've seen it happen on a PII machine, which isn't terribly hot.

I think that because I've seen it so many times, on machines that
continue to run flawlessly, some for two years, we can eliminate
hardware.  This is almost certainly heap corruption.  The KDE tool that
is like purify (only better and free), valgrind, should help fix it if
it is caused by any sort of memory corruption.  That would be

Remember, it is always crashing (I believe always) with an internal
compiler error.  Were hardware involved, you would expect to not get the
same message.  (Unless its the only error they have a name for).

If you really want to fix it, we could use a watchdog timer, and have it
restart the compiler whenever it crashes.