GHC 6.4 release candidates available

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 14 12:04:25 EST 2005

On 13 February 2005 21:30, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 01:11:48PM -0000,
>  Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com> wrote
>  a message of 17 lines which said:
>
>> We are finally at the release candidate stage for GHC 6.4.
>> Snapshots with versions 6.4.20050209 and later should be considered
>> release candidates for 6.4.
>
> One of my platforms is still not recognized:
>
> preston:~/tmp/ghc-6.4.20050212 % ./configure
> configure: loading site script /usr/local/etc/config.site
> configure: creating cache /usr/local/var/tmp/config.cache
> checking build system type... sparc64-unknown-netbsd2.0.1
> checking host system type... sparc64-unknown-netbsd2.0.1
> checking target system type... sparc64-unknown-netbsd2.0.1
> Unrecognised platform: sparc64-unknown-netbsd2.0.1
>
> Now, I understand that it is a rather uncommon platform but I would
> like to run darcs on it.
>
> ghc runs fine on my other UltraSparc 10, which runs
> Debian/GNU/Linux. hugs runs fine on the Sparc/NetBSD.
>
> I've read

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/building/sec-porting-ghc.htm
l#SEC-BOOTING-FROM-HC
> but it is still unclear for me. When I compile ghc on the Sparc /
> Debian, no ".hc" files are produced.

You really need to go through the cross-compilation process to get GHC
built on your platform.  Follow the instructions in section 10.2 to get
an unregisterised build, and from that you can build GHC again to get a
registerised version.

(in theory it's possible to cross-compile straight to a registerised
version since your target architecture is already supported, but we
haven't gone to the trouble of testing and documenting that process, so
you'd be on your own).