GHC as a package

Lennart Kolmodin kolmodin at
Sat Feb 12 07:41:47 EST 2005

Simon Marlow wrote:

>To compile GHC as a package, get a recent GHC source tree and set
>'BuildPackageGHC=YES' in your mk/  You should also set
>$(GHC_PKG) to point to your ghc-pkg command.  Then build ghc as normal,
>and in ghc/compiler say 'make install-inplace-pkg' to register the
>package (this won't do any actual installation, just register the
>package with your installed GHC).
I have ghc-6.2.2 installed on my system and it could not build ghc if I
set BuildPackageGHC=YES.
It failed with
WARNING: error while reading directory gnore-package
ghc-6.2.2: file `ghc' does not exist
so I guess it didn't understand the parameters "-ignore-package ghc".
If I download a recent snapshot of ghc-6.4, compile it, set
BuildPackageGHC=YES, how can I compile the package using that compiler?
And will that package be compatible with my installation of ghc-6.2.2?

Thanks in advance,