Unregistering a package

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 11 05:53:02 EST 2005

On 10 February 2005 22:29, Peter Simons wrote:

> Simon Marlow writes:
>
>  > The general syntax of package ids is:
>
>  >    pkgid ::= pkg ('-' version)?
>  >    pkg ::= (alphanum|'-')+
>  >    version ::= (digit+) ('.' digit+)* ('-' alphanum+)*
>
> Thanks. I gave my package the version "hsdns-0.0-2005-02-10"
> and that fixed the problem.

You should be aware that the version tags (i.e. -2005-02-10) are ignored
by Cabal when determining whether dependencies are satisfied.  That is,
the ordering on versions ignores the tags.

>  > Perhaps we should change the syntax of package ids
>  > though?
>
> In my humble opinion, GHC shouldn't try to guess what
> version identifiers mean; I would treat them as a literal
> strings without any parsing. But that's probably just me.

Mostly they are ignored, only parsed.  Cabal is the only part of the
systen that actually imposes a meaning, in terms of an ordering, on
versions.