[STM] Better name for waitUntil?

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 04:42:35 EST 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:34:19AM -0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> waitUntil sounds like a plausible name.

But how do I name "itsBefore"?
dontWaitUntil? ;-)

> Better than itsAfter or timeAfter.

> But perhaps sleepUntil would be better, because it's a variant of
> sleep?

Well yes, but an STM compatible one, so you can simultaneously
waitUntil and try to read from channel, and you get whatever
happens first.

Also, the interface is entirely in STM - no need to initialize the timer
in IO. Simon Marlow gave a nice example for usefulness of this:
> Interesting.  You could use that do wait for idle time, for example:
>
>    atomically $ do
>       t <- readTVar last_mouse_click
>       waitUntil (t+1000)
>
> so this transaction only completes when some idle time has passed since
> the last mouse click.

Let's assume I am going to implement itsBefore (seems to be quite
straightforward), so I want a pair of opposite names. Some
variations:

    itsAfter / itsBefore
    guardTimeAfter / guardTimeBefore
    waitUntil / ???