Optimizations for mutable structures?

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Thu Dec 8 06:51:32 EST 2005

>> If you share IORefs between threads and run on a multiprocessor, you
>> are at the mercy of both sequential optimisations and your
>> architecture's memory consistency guarantees.  In other words, don't
>> do it.  Use communication primitives that have strong properties in a
>> multi-threaded setting.
>I realised this paragraph is a bit stronger than I meant.  Of course
>it's fine to share IORefs between threads as long as you use a proper
>communication primitive to synchronise access to the IORef.  eg. using
>one MVar to lock on a bunch of IORefs is perfectly fine (this is how
>GHC's IO library is implemented).

is every MVar access is a synchronisation point (in terms of memory
update propagation between threads, not just in terms of thread
interaction)? if that is the case, I don't have much to complain about
regarding point 2, as I avoid IORefs even in the sequential case. just
as long as any IORef fans are warned about the "interesting" (and
usually nonobvious) effects that might accompany them through
their debugging sessions if they use CH.

the problem here is that synchronisation is used with two meanings:

a) blocking/unblocking threads to coordinate access to shared
    resources
b) propagating changes from thread-local memory to that of other
    threads

perhaps the weirdest example in Java-land is something like

    synchronized (new Object()) { }

which, if you only think of (a), should be a no-op, but wasn't in
the old memory model, because entry into/exit from the block
caused update of thread-local from external/external from
thread-local memory (it is a no-op in the new model, it seems?).

i thought that MVars differed from IORefs mainly in supporting (a),
and so i was worried about sequential optimisations and memory
inconsistency affecting my CH code, in spite of using MVars.

as for point 1, i already said that i understand if an implementation
does not fully support fairness, but i would advise against taking
that as a reason for tagging fairness as an unsupportable property
of only theoretical interest: like all the nice theoretical properties of
sequential Haskell, it is practically relevant (eg, the simple fact
that finalizers are not guaranteed to run has made them nearly
useless for me in the past).

also, while difficult and potentially less efficient to implement,
fairness is not impossible to implement. but as you say, the most
important starting point is to pin down what properties CH does
or does not support in its GHC implementation.

cheers,
claus