how to return ghc to Cabal-1.0

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 8 10:59:31 EDT 2005

On 08 August 2005 13:42, Serge D. Mechveliani wrote:

> Please, how to return GHC to Cabal-1.0 ?
>
> I have installed   ghc-6.4.1.20050806-i386-unknown-linux
> in my home.
> Then I tried to upgrade Cabal in GHC to 1.1.1.
> For this, I istalled  Cabal-1.1.1  to my home.
>
> Then, there appeared a certain difficulty in building application.
>
> But now I decide to stop these experiments
> (have not time now to struggle with complications) and to return to
> regular
>               ghc-6.4.1  (with Cabal-1.0).
>
> And cannot!
>
> Then, I remove the installation directory and install
> ghc-6.4.1-pre binary  by new, starting from `configure'.
>
> Then  ghci -package Cabal
>
> crashes, reporting something of  Cabal-1.1.1.

You should really cut and paste the *exact* command and error message,
we can't tell much from this.  Don't worry about spamming us with too
much detail.

To return to Cabal-1.0, you should simply unregister Cabal-1.1.1,
assuming you haven't also unregistered Cabal-1.0.

'ghc-pkg list' will tell you which packages are registered, and whether
they are registered globally or locally to you.  'ghc-pkg unregister
Cabal-1.1.1' will unregister Cabal-1.1.1, for example.  If it is
registered for you only, then you will need to add the --user flag.

Additionally, you probably want to delete the files that belong to
Cabal-1.1.1.  'ghc-pkg describe Cabal-1.1.1' will tell you where the
files live (before you unregister it, of course).