installing ghc without already having ghc

Jessica Brennan [staff] jib at panix.com
Wed Apr 20 10:12:55 EDT 2005

> Ok, the instructions have a slight mistake, we shouldn't be using the
> -fasm flag to build stage 1.  I'm not sure how that crept in, sorry.
>
> Just remove -fasm from GhcStage1HcOpts in mk/build.mk, that should fix
> it.
>
> By the way, I'm guessing you're on a Sparc box, is that right?  If so,
> others have reported problems on Sparc with 6.4, so you might run into
> difficulties.  We're lacking a Sparc guru at the moment.

I am using Netbsd-2.0. You were correct that removing the -fasm flag fixed
the error I was getting, though now I am getting the following errors.

ghc-6.4-host/libraries/readline
NetBSD-2.0 0 # gmake boot

==fptools== gmake boot -r;
  in /devel/build/NetBSD/ghc/ghc-6.4-host/libraries/readline

../../ghc/utils/hsc2hs/hsc2hs-inplace -Iinclude -I.
System/Console/Readline.hsc
Readline.hsc: In function `main':
Readline.hsc:677: error: `UNDO_DELETE' undeclared (first use in this
function)
Readline.hsc:677: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
Readline.hsc:677: error: for each function it appears in.)
Readline.hsc:678: error: `UNDO_INSERT' undeclared (first use in this
function)
Readline.hsc:679: error: `UNDO_BEGIN' undeclared (first use in this
function)
Readline.hsc:680: error: `UNDO_END' undeclared (first use in this
function)
Readline.hsc:1021: error: `MULT_MATCH' undeclared (first use in this
function)
Readline.hsc:1044: error: `SINGLE_MATCH' undeclared (first use in this
function)
gmake: *** [System/Console/Readline.hs] Error 1

I have tried this with readline-5.0 both shared and static versions though
I prefer to use the static version.

-Jessica

jib at panix.com
Panix Staff