Edison Libraries in ghc 6.4

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 19 08:58:45 EDT 2005

On 17 April 2005 11:28, Carlos Areces wrote:

>    We are using Glasgow Haskell for the implemenation of a theorem
> prover.
> We use the Edison Libraries for efficient implementations of Sets and
> Heaps.
> We have a stable version of the prover with no problems and fairly
> good performance working on ghc 6.2.
>    We have just installed ghc 6.4 and when compiling the source code
> we've
> received many warnings like the following one:
>
> ./src/hylores/ComplClauseSet.hs:51:0:
>     Warning: Deprecated use of type constructor or class `Min'
>              (imported from MinHeap)
>              This module is unmaintained, and will disappear soon
>
>    We are making heavy use of types from the Edison library, so we
> get quite a number of warnings, implying changes all over our code to
> correct them.
>
>    Which are exactly the problems with the Edison Library?  And
> what's its future with respect to ghc?

Edison hasn't been converted to use hierarchical modules, and it doesn't
have an active maintainer.  Also, we're trying to slim down the default
GHC install and move more libraries into external packages.

We don't have any plans to replace it, except that we will provide a few
of the more common concrete data structures (eg. Data.Map, Data.Set).
We hope that third-party data structure libraries will fill the gap.