Complexity bug in garbage collector?

Josef Svenningsson josef.svenningsson at
Thu Apr 14 10:35:01 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I've had some fun chasing around a couple of space leaks lately. One
of the graphs that I produced looked like this:

Notice the shape of the graph. It shows a perfect squareroot function.
But my program should be allocating at a constant rate. From previous
experience this suggests that there is a time complexity bug in the
garbage collector. This makes it take time proportional to the square
of the amount of allocated memory. Can someone confirm this?