rewrite rule pragma syntax

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 28 08:22:07 EDT 2004

On 09 September 2004 16:51, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> I encountered the same problem as this guy:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2002-May/003407.h
tml

> It is still present in GHC-6.2.1. Only if you turn on -fglasgow-exts
> the RULES pragma is parsed correctly. I think GHC should give a
> warning like "turn -fglasgow-exts on for RULES pragma" instead of:
>
> Media.hs:23: Variable not in scope: `forall'
>
> Media.hs:23: Variable not in scope: `f'
>
> Media.hs:23: Variable not in scope: `f'
>
> Media.hs:23: Variable not in scope: `f'

GHC will now ignore RULES pragmas when -fglasgow-exts is not enabled.
Ideally we'd like to give a warning too, but there doesn't exist a
mechanism for issueing warnings from the lexer right now, so I'll leave
that until later.